This week, we continue our Spring Renewal series by sharing ways to clean up our stinkin’ thinkin’. Here are 6 powerful steps from Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power of Positive Thinking”:
1. Develop and stamp permanently in your mind a picture of yourself succeeding.
2. Cancel out negative thoughts with positive thoughts.
3. Do not build up obstacles in your mind. Pick them apart and minimize them.
4. Do not be awestruck by other people and try to copy them. Be the best self that you can be.
5. Repeat the same affirmation 10 times daily. An example: If God be for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31)
6. Get a coach or mentor to help you identify and increase your strengths. Self-knowledge leads to cure.
We have also added 4 more steps that are will increase a positive mental attitude:
7. Do something every day that scares you. It will increase your self-confidence.
8. Develop your own force field that allows you to deflect negative people, protect your positive attitude, and keep your mind focused on your purpose. Imagine that force field surrounding you every day.
9. Have some fun and give yourself an alter ego who is courageous, competent, and confident.
10. Commit to the process until you master it and then teach someone else these steps.
Finally, it is so important that we take time to connect with our higher power. Our belief empowers us. It emboldens us. It eases our dismay and difficulty. Belief in a higher power encourages us to move forward when we are not clear on our direction. So make time to connect multiple times per day.
Next week, we will share tips on how to renew relationships.